Lunes, Oktubre 3, 2011

OH-WOW-LUGAW!

Lugaw is basically a congee in Asian cuisine. Filipino congee is compared to Cantonese-congee since these two variants are usually thicker, maintaining the shape of the rice but smooth in texture. Lugaw is boiled with strips of ginger. Other flavors could be added according to your taste. More often than not, has fried garlic, chopped spring onions and chicharon as toppings. This is best served with hardboiled egg, tokwa’t baboy (minced tofu and pork), isaw, calamares and virtually any street food popular in the Philippines. This is often served for children below 2 years old and the elderly since it provides warmth and easy to be digested.

However, some provinces prefer the Spanish variation – the arroz caldo or literally rice porridge. But based on food experts, arroz caldo is not a European food but really the Cantonese congee adopted by Filipinos during the Spanish occupation.

I haven’t tried making lugaw before so this was a godo experiment. I boiled the beef shanks I found in the fridge and sliced them. I got a saucepan and began stir frying some garlic and julienned onion then added the beef slices. I added several cups of water and covered the pot. I prefer the beef to be tender so I simmer it for about 35 minutes. Then I put some seasonings and another cup of water then simmered for 10 minutes. Then, I placed 2 cups of rice to finish the process. The result made amazed me so oh-wow-lugaw seems a nice name.  

(Source: marketmanila.com)

Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento