Sabado, Oktubre 1, 2011

THE SAUCY DELIGHTS OF BEEF CALDERETA

Caldereta is a delicious meat stew with Spanish and American roots, but nevertheless, uniquely Filipino. It has retained its Spanish name yet Filipinos enhanced it with unique tomato sauce mashed pork livers. I tried it when my mom cooked beef caldereta one day. I thought I will not like it, but when I tried it, I asked for more. I even asked her to teach me how to cook caldereta on my own. 

INGREDIENTS:
1 kilo beef shanks, cubed
1/3 cup pickle relish
½ cup water
3 cups potatoes, cubed
1 cup green peas
1 piece large onion, julienned
1 piece medium-sized carrot, sliced
½ tsp siling labuyo
1 bell pepper, sliced
¼ cup tomato sauce
3 pcs chicken liver smashed raw or if not available
1 can liver spread
¼ cup grated cheese

HOW TO PREPARE:
Cook beef cubes in 1/3 cup pickle juice until tender. Add some pickles to enhance flavor.  If pickle juice or pickles are not available, you can instead marinade the beef in ¼ cup soy sauce and 2 tablespoon calamansi juice for 25 minutes, add some water then simmer until the beef is tender. Set aside broth. Fry potato cubes in oil, set aside to drain oil. Stir fry julienned onions in oil, add the beef, carrots and tomato sauce. Blend for another 8 minutes then add the beef broth. Add the liver puree then stir slowly. If raw chicken liver is not available, use a can of liver spread. However, be sure to dissolve the liver spread with water before you add to the blend. Add green peas, siling labuyo and bell pepper. Simmer for another 5 minutes then add potatoes then season with salt and pepper. Finally, add grated cheese and cook for another 5 minutes. If you want a cheesier caldereta, lessen the liver and add more cheese.

Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento